About this job
Overview of the role
To promote and maintain the highest attainable standard of nursing care within the centre and ensure that all staff are performing their duties adequately. This role reports to and is responsible to the Person in Charge (PIC).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all residents are treated with dignity, privacy and respect and ensuring they are treated as individuals.
- Understand the Named Nurse concept, its function, and implementation and ensure that all relevant documentation is completed to the standards required
- Maintain professional standards in keeping with An Bord Altranais Code of Professional Conduct and understand all An Bord Altranais documents and their implications for nursing practice.
- Establish a personal and meaningful relationship with all residents, relatives, and visitors, ensuring appropriate support and comfort is always given, especially to the bereaved.
- Ensure all internal Healthcare policies are known and adhered to by all staff.
- Maintain clear, concise, and accurate records within the centre in accordance with legislation.
- Ensure the agreed policies and procedures for the control, administration and custody of all drugs and medicines are adhered to.
- Knowledge and awareness of HIQA standards and ability to participate in inspection process.
- Ensure all admissions to the centre are carried out correctly and all appropriate documentation completed.
- Liaise with health care professionals as necessary regarding the discharge of a resident to the community to ensure continuity of care.
What are the qualifications, skills and experienced required?
- Registered on the Irish live register (NMBI). Must have active PIN.
- Has clinical experience working in Gerontological Care.
- Working experience of HIQA Standards and Health Act Regulations 2013
- Fluent in English language (verbal and written) and be eligible to work in Ireland
- Strong communication and listening skills
- Work well with and lead a care team
- Caring and compassionate, and be passionate about providing high quality person-centred care
Given the nature of the work, it must be stressed that maximum flexibility is required. This job description does not attempt to detail every activity. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder periodically by the Person in Charge (PIC).