About this job
My client is an A-rated international insurance group based in Dublin City Centre. For a newly created position, I am now recruiting for a Senior Underwriter and hoping to speak to individuals with strong technical understanding of underwriting insurance risks in the Irish market.
This role will assist in driving the further development of company business by maintaining Underwriting discipline at the company, and ensuring this discipline is best in class. The role shall involve securing new business and ensuring a strong renewal retention of currently held business. This will involve critical review and analysis of the current book as well as planning for the short, medium and long term underwriting strategy.
Candidates from strong underwriting backgrounds in either insurers or brokers are encouraged to apply. The position is offering a competitive salary DOE and a benefits package including a discretionary bonus, DC pension and full health cover.
Responsibilities may include (but not limited to) the following:
- Monitor the profitability of the current premium line, identifying risks which are under performing
- Manage current business written by meeting with the relevant internal and external Parties; such as staff, branch network, Brokers etc.
- Assist in the training and development of other underwriters.
- Meet with claims handlers, loss adjustors and other third parties re the handling and operation of the business
- Work towards the achievement of both Annual Income and Loss Ratio budgets, reporting any threats
- Monitor the Company’s exposure to aggregation and accumulation of risks to remain within the Company’s risk appetite
- Provide the Senior Technical Underwriter with timely information of various Underwriting areas such as the underwriting performance of accounts, analysing claim data, market information and other relevant matters
- Ensure that adequate processes and controls are in place to maximise the profits generated from written business, raise any issues identified to the Senior Technical Underwriter where required.
- Contribute to the overall success of the Company through active and positive contribution to the strategic directions taken
Candidates who meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- 7-8 years’ experience in Insurance engaging in the direct underwriting and management of risks.
- Minimum CIP qualification (scope to consider candidates who have been grandfathered)
- Familiarity with industry knowledge such as Property, Liability and Financial Lines
- Familiarity with analytical assessments of risks such as risk management issues, triangulations, adequacy of pricing, profitability.
- Competence with Microsoft Office package
- Ability to work under own initiative and motivate and influence others, with advanced communication and negotiation skills
- Demonstrate strong leadership ability and experience, mentoring direct reports to cultivate skills, building team capability.
- Good understanding of a financially regulated company, awareness of compliance issues and a clear understanding of Solvency II
As this is a permanent position, candidates applying must have the right to work in Ireland without restriction to be considered for this position (Stamp 4 Visa status or equivalent).
To register your interest for this position, please submit an up-to-date CV directly to this advertisement. To speak further about this position or about your job search within the Insurance industry, please feel free to reach out to Katie Mitchell of Lincoln Recruitment by emailing kmitchell(at)lincoln.ie.