About this job
Overview of the role
The Healthcare Assistant works as a member of a team delivering care to the residents via the Named Nurse concept. As such a team member, the Healthcare Assistant contributes to the fulfilment of facility’s philosophy of care. This role reports to and is responsible to the Person in Charge (PIC).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting the nursing staff and team in delivering quality person-centred care to meet the needs of residents
- Getting to know residents’ interests and needs providing attention, support, and companionship
- Promoting the mobility of residents, supervising, and assisting as necessary to ensure optimum mobility is maintained and improved where possible
- Enabling and assisting residents to maintain their personal appearance /hygiene needs
- Enabling and assisting residents to eat/drink and achieve physical comfort
- Participating, organising, and carrying out social activities
- Sustaining high level of communication between resident’s family and staff, developing & maintaining good relationships
- Assisting in the upkeep of high standards of cleanliness in the home
- Contributing to the maintenance of Health and Safety in the home
- Any other duties deemed necessary by Nurse in Charge and management.
What are the qualification, skills and experience required?
- FETAC/QQI Level 5 qualification in Healthcare (completed or in process of completing)
- Experience working in a healthcare environment (with a good knowledge of HIQA standards) preferable
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to maintain a positive approach
- Caring and empathetic nature
Given the nature of the work, it must be stressed that maximum flexibility is required. This job description does not attempt to detail every activity. Specific tasks and objectives will be agreed with the post holder periodically by the Person in Charge (PIC).